NEW 2017 CNC Tube Version with dual speed "Rack 'n Pinion" focuser, Teflon-tipped adjustable rotator, CNC machined internal knife edge baffles, and a self centering 2" adapter. Both the Planostar 1.0x and 0.79x 3" flatteners and reducers can be attached directly to the focuser, by unscrewing the rear self centering assembly. New CNC machined tube rings, CNC machined dewshield with adjustable fit, and a longer dovetail bar are included for easier balancing. An aluminium push-fit dustcap is included for the front lens.
The Altair Astro 130mm F7 ED Triplet APO refractor uses a 905mm focal length lens cell with Japanese FPL51 ED glass from Ohara which is cpecifically chosen to be free of internal stresses and striae which affect optical quality in large size refractors.
Wave Series telescopes have rapidily gained a reputation for performance well above it's price range, especially with visual observers. This is due to a special optical testing and calibration process at the final stages of production, cluminating in the production of a laser interferogram image which is delivered with every telescope. (More info below).
Suitable for astro imaging or visual use, this is an extremely capable telescope in all areas. The telescope is ideal for serious planetary viewing, enabling faint and subtle details to be observed in high contrast. The moon, Jupiter and Saturn are very good targets for the Wave 130. The optical tube assembly can easily be carried by the Altair Sabre, iOptron iEQ45 or Minitower portable GOTO mounts (please enquire about telescope/mount packages).
A rigid aluminium tube gives the correct thermal properties for any large airspaced triplet refractor, allowing the use of Kendrick dew control heaters to conduct heat to the optics, and of course quick thermal equalisation and relative freedom from tube currents. This is unlike carbon fibre or other non-metal composite materials which not only get brittle with age and eventually crack, but often hinder thermal equalization because they do not conduct heat away from the optics. Two lightened CNC machined tube rings give a stable mounting platform for astro photography, and a large dewshield (with improved mechanism) delays the onset of dew and keeps dust and pollen away from the objective.
The new Rack and Pinion dual speed focuser has a smooth teflon lined rotation system, and a self-centering 2" pushfit end-cap. The end cap can be removed to attach the PlanoStar TM 3" 1.0x Flattener and the Planostar TM 3" 0.79x reducer by means of a threaded adapter.
Two heavy duty tube rings are provided with standard hole patterns to fit most hardware mounting systems on the market including the premium Altair TMS Losmandy-format plates and carry handles.
We recommend the Altair Astro 60mm Deluxe Finder Scope (see associated products) which is a perfect fit (holes provided) and can double as an autoguider for imaging by adding the Altair Miniguider adapter.
Wave Series hand-made, calibrated and tested optics:
The 130mm Wave Series triplet APO optics are carefully finished at the final stages of production and repeatedly tested until signed off by the optician in charge of the production run. Before anti-reflection coating, the lenses are placed on a testplate to assess the deviation from the ideal design curvature and sent back for figuring until the correct curvature is achieved. During assembly, the individual lenses are assembled in the lens cell, marked and rotated and re-centred with reference from a double pass autocollimator. Many iterations are required to get the best alignment and centering combination for each lens because there are 6 glass surfaces to deal with in the case of a triplet lens assembly. Each lens cell is tested each time a small change is made in rotation or centering, or re-spacing of the elements relative to each other. Sometimes this can result in small dust particles between the lenses which have no effect on the performance of the telescope whatsoever (because they are at the entrance pupil), but are inevitable during this iterative process. This process is used to achieve the highest quality possible for each lens. At this aperture, it is preferable to have a lens which has been adjusted for optimum performance instead of a lens which is cosmetically perfect but has not been assembled to a high standard. Each lens cell has a serial number, guaranteeing it's originality as a genuine modified Altair Astro optic. Lens numbers start afresh with each major change in production. Once the optimum setup is reached, the lens is signed off, a laser interferogram image in 532nm green light is inputted into AtmosFRINGE software to produce a test report showing the lens characteristics, which is included with each telescope. The image is a snapshot in time of the lens after assembly. Altair Astro has been performing this QC process since 2008, and no other UK company to our knowledge is capable, nor even willing to perform this level of quality control, which is the essence of the Wave Series concept. This process is labour intensive, and it can take a day or more to adjust one lens to optimum, therefore Wave Series telescopes cost a little more than other scopes of similar aperture.
Altair Astro 130mm F6 ED Triplet APO Features:
- 130mm F7 multi coated objective lens FPL51 ED Optics using top quality ED glass from Ohara Japan.
- Highest practical magnification 250x, light grasp of 67% more than a 102mm (4") refractor.
- OTA weight with rings 8kg (without the optional finder).
- New 2014 Light Weight Rack 'n Pinion dual speed focuser with 1:10 ratio coarse and fine knobs, a Self Centering compression ring for 2" accessories.
- 2" to 1.25" Self-Centering eyepiece adapter
- Tube rings with standard M6 hole pattern
- A Standard Vixen-format 1.75" dovetail bar is included for visual use, though we recommend changing to the Altair TMS Vixen or Losmandy-format tube rings for imaging because they are CNC machined from a higher grade of aluminium ally and will flex less.
- Case * Please note: The case is sold as "packaging only" and is provided with this telescope to protect it during shipping. The product guarantee does not extend to damage of the case during shipping, nor failure of the case, catches, zips, foam, or other fittings, and you are not being charged for the case when buying a telescope. If the case has absorbed damage, it is considered to have fulfilled it's function to protect the contents (which are of course guaranteed to arrive undamaged).
- We recommend the optional Altair Astro 60mm finder scope (shown in the image) or Altair MiniGuider 60 for autoguiding with this telescope. If you want to start observing and try imaging later, you can order the finder first, and the autoguider adapter later on to convert your finder into a Miniguider. (See associated products). Please note that this telescope does not come with a finder shoe bracket as in the picture, however there are two holes on the focuser are compatible with most finder scopes.
The optional Altair PLANOSTAR 3" Field Flattener (PLANOS-3-1.0-M48) for astro-imaging: This optional, dedicated large format field flattener is available separately with this telescope package for use with CCD imaging chips. The large format 3" field flattener screws into the rear of the focuser by means of a special adapter (PLANOS-3-1.0-M48-RP25-ADAPT) which replaces the rear self-centering adapter. These threaded connections reduce flex in the imaging train, resulting in tighter star images, and sharper images. A conical rear adapter with an M48 rear thread is included with the flattener, and the correct spacing for Nikon or Canon EOS DSLR cameras can be obtained with the special Altair Astro low profile Canon DLSR adapter (M48DSLR-EOS), or the standard Skywatcher Nikon M48 DSLR adapter. If you have a CCD camera, our variable M48 spacers can be used to get the right distance to the CDD chip. (See associated products below for the Altair Planostar 3" field flattener).
The optional Altair Planostar 0.79x 3" Reducer Field Flattener (PLANOS-3-0.79X-M48) converts your Wave Series telescope into a fast F5.5 focal ratio astrograph. It attaches directly to the focuser when the 2" self centering assembly is unscrewed, and no adapter is required.